One of the most popular magnesium supplements is Natural Vitality's Natural Calm. What makes it unique is that it is a powder that you dissolve in water and drink.
This makes it super easy to take when compared to the large pills that make up most other supplements.
Having tried a wide range of magnesium supplements (including Natural Vitality's) I am often asked what I think of it so here I have put together my own Calm Magnesium review.
1) Some of the links below are affiliate links.
2) The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be used in place of the advice of a healthcare professional. While my wife and I have been taking magnesium supplements every day for years, I can't say how they might affect you. Always consult a doctor if you have health concerns: don't try to self-diagnose!
Calm Magnesium Facts
Natural Calm is made of magnesium citrate which tends to be one of the better-absorbed forms of magnesium.
They also say it is an ionic form of magnesium citrate which means it should be more absorbable than standard magnesium citrate.
What does ionic mean? The short version is that the magnesium citrate has been given a positive or negative charge.
This means it should bond better to water and is more likely to be absorbed by your body.
The serving size is two 'rounded' teaspoons dissolved in water which gives you 325mg, or roughly 81% of the RDA for magnesium.
Calm Magnesium Reviews
As regular readers know, Natural Calm is one of my top three magnesium supplements.
What I like is that it:
- Is super easy to take. Most magnesium supplements consist of giant pills that are tough to swallow and nasty to chew.
- Actually tastes pretty good. When I first tried it I expected something chalky but instead it's more like drinking seltzer water. Think fizzy with a weak but not unpleasant taste. It also comes in multiple flavors.
- Is sort of fun to mix it with water. When you drop the powder into the water it's like a chemistry experiment where things start to bubble and move around on their own.
- Works pretty well considering how easy it is to take.
However, having used it quite a lot I have found it to have a few drawbacks:
- It is expensive compared to other types of magnesium.
If I go by the average price I can find online (roughly $25 for the 16oz version), it comes out to about $0.22 per serving. The two pill-based magnesium supplements I take are
This means Calm magnesium costs an extra $25-$35 per year if you take it every day.
- I found that it's more likely to give me bowel troubles than pill-based magnesium.
I was able to resolve this by reducing the serving size but then I was concerned I wasn't getting all the magnesium I needed.
- It didn't help me quite as much as some of the other supplements I tried.
I take magnesium for a bunch of different reasons (migraines, restless legs, anxiety, etc) and I found that, while it did help me, it just didn't help me as much as I would have liked.
Overall I give Natural Calm magnesium 4.5 out of 5 stars.
It's pricey and it wasn't the absolute most effective magnesium I've ever tried, but it's so easy to take that I think it's a great option for anyone looking for their first magnesium supplement.
It also tends to be one of the best-selling magnesium supplements on Amazon.
So if you want to read more about Calm magnesium, or just see what other magnesium supplements are out there, check them out using these Amazon links:
As always, you are strongly encouraged to consult with your physician or other qualified medical professional to help determine your own optimal level of magnesium, and to see whether magnesium supplementation is right for you.
Leave a Reply